Monday, 26 May 2014

My Dream Garden


Today I went to visit an NGS open garden, and inspired by that, the RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2014 coverage and this post from Sarah-Lou at Lapin Blu (I love her blog), I wanted to share my vision of the perfect garden (one day...sigh).  I love visiting gardens, and one of my favourite birthdays was spent at RHS Cardiff Flower Show.  My garden right now is pretty much a barren plot of grass, (albeit with a cherry tree, honeysuckle and clematis), but unfortunately because we have a rabbit I can't plant anything unless I don't mind it being immediately eaten. 


My perfect garden would be a peaceful, informal and romantic cottage garden with winding paths and wide borders full of hollyhocks, sweet peas, scabiosa, allium, foxgloves, stocks, forget me nots, delphiniums, aquilegia and lavender.  It would be relaxed and a bit playful, I love planting to look a bit wild and not too structured.

 

 
 
I used to work at  nursery famous for its peonies, so would definitely have peonies in my dream garden.


It would be tranquil, calming and restful.


I'd love a summerhouse to read in and have breakfast in the morning and to drag blankets out to look at the stars at night. 

 
 
 
There would be lots of wildlife-attracting plants, a wild flower meadow area and a pond with surrounding irises for the frogs and newts. 
 


The Secret Garden was one of my favourite books and films as a child so I'd love to have tall walls around my garden, rather than fences, and I love climbers so there would have to be honeysuckle, roses, clematis, wisteria and climbing hydrangeas on the house and walls. 

 
 
Holidays as a child were spent in the Lake District where I loved the dry stone walls, so I'd love them to be an element. 



Somerset, where I live, is famous for willow weaving, which I adore, so there would be willow hurdles and a willow arbour somewhere in the garden.


There would be a woodland area, with white woodruff, anemones, hellebores, bluebells, celandines, campion, and primroses dotted under the trees, and a big oak tree with a bench surrounding it. 

 
 
And finally I would grow rhubarb.  And apple trees.  For the pie making opportunities!



Thank you Pinterest for the dreamy pictures!

1 comment:

  1. I would come to visit your garden. It sounds like it would be a place of peace and beauty......

    ReplyDelete