Thursday, 20 March 2014

Mother's Day Present Ideas 2014

Mothering Sunday is on the 30th of March this year, the perfect day to show your love and appreciation for your mum or the mother of your children!  If you've got a child under five then they probably haven't got a present or card (after age five they might have made them at school, but check!) so that falls to you partners.  You might also be thinking of getting a gift or card for your friend or relative who has a new baby but be stuck for ideas.  Every mum is different and the best gift is always the most thoughtful, not the most expensive, so here are some ideas to get you started for every budget.

Budget £0 - £5

  • Framed 'number of days you have been my mum' card
I love this card, £4.95, from Ruby Wren Designs, and I think you could easily frame it to make it into the loveliest gift.  It is personalised with the right amount of days and you can choose the colours, patterns etc.  



  •  Vintage vase
These pretty vintage milk bottle vases are from Made With Love Designs, and cost £3.95, but you could also pick up vintage milk bottles or vases in charity shops.  Just add a single bloom like the photo = perfect present!

  • Mother's Day Tokens
Why not make some Mother's Day tokens for your Mum or with your children for your partner...you could personalise them to be all her favourite things, e.g. 1 cuddle, 1 cup of tea, 1 trip to her favourite place, 1 home-cooked meal plus the washing up done etc.!
Best of all you can be as creative as you like and they are free!  



  • Card and cake!
I think this Belle & Boo card, £2.50, from Etsy would be really sweet along with a homemade cake!



 

  • Something Homemade
If you have young children why not make something together? Homemade gifts are the best and most special.  There are tonnes of ideas on Pinterest!



Budget £5 - £10


  • Recycled Notebook
A delightful notebook, £7.50 from Lou Brown Designs, for list-making or creative mamas.



  • Framed tea towel or fabric
I absolutely adore this, but given framed as a lovely piece of artwork not as a tea towel! Please don't give her a tea towel or anything reminiscent of domestic chores and drudgery (unless you're also promising to wash up!) This beaut is from Lilac Coast and costs £8.95. 


  • Picture book
If you're buying a present as the partner of a mother of young children, how about a book for them to read together? One of our favourites is Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney (this edition costs £6.99 from Waterstones), which has a lovely message for Mother's Day.  
  • Handmade Jewellery
I think these handmade, ceramic and silver Forget Me Not earrings from Etsy are the sweetest.  And they're only £8! They make me wish my ears were pierced.  Do check she has pierced ears though...I'm always being given earrings and mine aren't!




Budget £10 - £20
 
  • Collection of charity shop books. 
One of my favourite presents to give or receive is a pile of vintage books from a charity shop.  You can buy lots of different individual books, special editions of their favourites or a collection of books centred around a theme they love...old illustrated fairy tale books, sewing and craft books, interiors books, annuals from the 1960's, vintage Penguin classics, whatever you think they'll like! Our local Oxfam bookshop has a special section for antiquarian and vintage books and has absolute gems, I always want to buy them all. 



  • Fancy gardening bits
For the gardening and mid-century modern enthusiast how about these amazing Orla Kiely gardening gloves, around £15?  Yes these are what I'm getting my Mum.  She doesn't read my blog so don't worry, it'll stay secret!



  • Filled photo album
I love flipping through actual physical photo albums and reminiscing.  Any presents involving photos are brilliant in my book!


  • Book Journal
I really need one of these, so surely other mums who like to read do too?! I forget which authors I have liked, which books I hated, which books I wanted to look for at the library, etc.! Mummy brain never leaves you! This Moleskine book journal, £12, is wonderful (and you can buy it in Waterstones or other places if you are boycotting Amazon!) They also make travel journals, film journals, food journals etc.!



  • Box of yummy things
For mamas with a sweet tooth this Sweet Sampler box, £16, from Ms Cupcake contains 2 cookies, 2 cookie sandwiches and 2 squares selected from whichever flavours are fresh in the bakery that day.  YUM! 



Budget £20 - £30

  • Bunch of flowers
A total classic Mother's Day present! Try to find local, seasonal, UK field-grown, preferably organic flowers.


  • Something from Lush!
I love the 'Mum' gift, which costs £28.95, as it contains my new favourites the Secret Garden ballistic, Mum bubble wand and Rose bubble bar, alongside the amazing, healing Dream Cream moisturiser.


  • Screen printed sweatshirt
The T shirts and sweatshirts from Lost Shapes are the best presents for any occasion at all! They're hand screen-printed on 100% organic, environmentally-friendly, fairly-traded cotton, so are a guilt-free buy.  They feel so soft and I love the designs.  I have this 'Another Nice Day' sweatshirt, which was £26 and I love it.



Budget £30-£50



  • A Framed Papercut

How lovely is this handmade, framed papercut, (£40 from Etsy)?! It is just perfect.  No more words!



£50+
  • Spa day with a massage (including babysitting!)
One thing everyone needs but mothers don't always have the time for is relaxation, so a spa day is a really lovely present.  If you're a daughter buying a present for your own mother maybe you could go together for a bonding day? Or if you're a partner buying a present for a new mummy, make sure you arrange babysitting and bear in mind that if she's breastfeeding she might not be able to leave the baby for more than a few hours, so plan around this!  If you're in the south west of England I'd highly recommend the Relaxation Centre in Clifton, it is a really peaceful little oasis in the middle of the city.  There are two hot tubs, two saunas, a steam room, a plunge pool and a relaxation room where you can have a cup of tea and a teacake!  I'd also really recommend the Lush Spas.  There are 6 around the UK, and they are English-themed, so feel really cosy and homely, and the treatments are completely amazing.

  • Fingerprint Jewellery
One of my favourite presents I've ever received is a silver necklace engraved with Eric's name and date of birth, and printed with Eric's handprints (mine was from Fingerprint Jewellery).  I treasure it and wear it every day, so I really would recommend this as a gift. 


I hope this gives you some ideas! Do you have any other recommendations? Let me know in the comments...

No comments:

Post a Comment